Beware of the Dandelions is a mobile art installation that functions as a performance, workshop space, and visual arts exhibition. The piece is created from the intersection of disciplines including: community organizing, design, hip-hop and electronic music, architecture, and theater. The experience occurs inside a 400 square foot polyhedron dome-like pod structure. The performance and generative design are projected onto the surface of the pod to create an immersive visual and sound experience that incorporates science-fiction, projections, songs, and interactive game elements.
Complex Movements engages communities to expand their strategies for organizing around local and trans-local social justice issues. Beware of The Dandelions has been presented in Seattle, Dallas, and Detroit.
Complex Movements has presented work at the On The Boards (Seattle), Southern Methodist University (Dallas) Detroit Science Center, the Network of Ensemble Theater’s Microfest (Detroit), Cranbrook Art Museum (Detroit), Freedom Dreams/Freedom Now conference (Chicago), Allied Media Conference (Detroit), SiTE:LAB (Grand Rapids), Charles H. Wright Museum for African American History (Detroit), Under The Radar (NYC), One Mic Hip Hop Culture Worldwide Festival (DC), and Facing Race conference (Dallas).
Role: Artist / Performer / Technical Lead
- Developing performance media ecosystem with platforms such as TouchDesigner, Unity, Ableton Live, and Max
- Designing and building the installation environment in collaboration with Wesley Taylor and architect Aaron Jones
- Co-writing story experience
- Co-creating visual content in collaboration with Wesley Taylor
- Facilitating translocal movement building through organizing and sharing community narratives
Date: 2013 - 2017
Complex Movements is a Detroit-based artist collective developing interactive performance work that illuminates connections between complex science and social justice movements to support the transformation of communities.